Tuesday, June 22, 2010

So Much Music, So Little Time (and money)


Russell and I both love music, especially when it's presented in festival format. There is something so special about being sequestered away from 'reality' or 'the default world', surrounded by other like-minded people (read: hippies), and inundated with great music for several days straight. Personally, spending a weekend at a festival makes me feel more alive, more myself, energized in a way I just can't get any other way. It's like being a kid again!
Some festivals, like the Lake Eden Arts Festival and the Shakori Hills Grassroots festival, are super kid-friendly, especially because they're both smaller and NC-based. I grew up going to music fests; indeed, LEAF is in large parts responsible for who I am today. I so look forward to introducing Orion to the festival world of fun clothes and play-all-day music and new friends. I know he will enjoy it as much as we do!
In the meantime, though, we've missed all the spring festivals this year. I can honestly say this is the first time in nearly 20 years that I have attended not one festival during the spring season, when they are happening almost every weekend all over the East Coast. Orion is a worthy reason for the festival attendance drought, but I still really miss them and envy my friends who report back on various bands' sets, etc. I also just adore my time with Russell at the fests, since he's such a great travel partner and we have an excellent time together. It's one of the many ways that we are clearly made for each other.
I think my true goal/dream in life is to travel around from spring to fall, hitting every festival possible along the way, supporting myself by vending cool clothes and then hibernating/sewing all winter. It could happen...
To go along with my nostalgic mood today, I've included a photo of us from the Rothbury Festival 2009 (easily the best big music festival currently occurring in the U.S.).
Can't wait till next year - see you there!

1 comment:

Missy Coppage said...

Discounting missing my friends, next to easy access to the beach, the festival scene is what I miss most about being located so far away right now. I always look at the lineups for Shakori and Leaf and various others and try to think up schemes for how i can get there. Problem is, by the time I factor in festival tickets and travel costs, along with fun money I am looking at around $1000 bucks and I just can't justify it. Sucks and I want to go. I wish I could tell myself I will be there next festival season, but since we will be moving sometime in early June to who knows were, money will still be an issue. Blah. Just wanted to complain a little too. Feeling homesick this summer.