Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Missing the Burn


Pretty much everyone is aware of the fact that we conceived Orion at Burning Man last year. We're immensely proud of that fact. He's certainly not the only one to claim such stellar beginnings, but we knew it would happen there. We also feel that he's destined to be an excellent addition to the planet, having come through the ether to us in such a special place.
The countdown to the Burn has truly begun, and since we're on the mailing lists we've been kept abreast of the situation. I got to the point where I delete the Jack Rabbit Speaks emails without reading them, because it just makes me bummed that we can't go this year. However, the other day I got caught up in the list of registered theme camps for this year and was in agony on the couch for a minute - I had to stop reading the list!
It did make me feel better to watch the "Confessions of a Burning Man" documentary last night. Though I can't be there this year, watching footage from previous years can be really inspiring. There has yet to be a temple that doesn't bring tears to my eyes...
Russell and I feel really strongly about the Burn - it's more than just the place where we created our son. I could go on for days about it, but I'll suffice to say that it's a really special place and a really important 'happening' each year. I can't wait to get back there - in the meantime, it's worth it to miss a year because we've got such a wonderful baby with us now.

No comments: