Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New Mommy=On the Couch with Baby


The view from the couch hasn't changed much in the past week, excepting the rotating bouquets of flowers and the random baby-clutter. Though the new sun lamp in the turtle tank does add some light and color to that side of the room!
I'm still healing, so I'm still sore and rather uncomfortable as things get sorted out down below. Luckily, I haven't been too hormonal and have only experienced a few cranky days, which is better than I expected! So far the worst thing about new parenthood has been the soreness, which isn't even directly related to baby-raising. I'm just looking forward to being healed up enough to do basic things, like laundry - or even just walking up and down the stairs without having to do so very carefully and deliberately.
Orion is such a sweet baby! He's a good sleeper - so far we've gone out to eat twice and he slept through it both times, completely unperturbed by noise and activity around him. However, he's spending some time each day in the 'quiet alert' state, which means he's doing well and learning. He is more interested in looking around at things and seems curious about the world. He's also quite the mover - he can lift his head and does so a lot, though he can't hold it up long. He also squirmed all over the bed last night in an effort to get closer to Russell and me, and when I turned to look at him he was looking up at my face. Such a cutie pie! He rarely cries, and then only when he wants to be fed, and makes some pretty funny noises and faces when he's working on a burp or a gas bubble.
Since we co-sleep, I haven't felt too sleep-deprived; he stays right there next to me, so when he wakes up to nurse I wake up immediately, and we've had no late-night crying fits. We've also mastered the 'sleep-and-feed' (as Russell calls it), in which Orion lays on his side and me on mine, so he can nurse while I doze. He'll nurse on-and-off for up to and hour and a half without really disturbing my sleep. I'll wake up to find him contentedly snoozing away next to me. It's a nice way to sleep!
Since he was born, Orion has rarely been put down - he's almost constantly in someone's arms or lap. The longest he's been down have been the times that he was in his stroller at the restaurant, and he slept through that. I think this is really good for him, but it can't last forever, sadly! My mom is here till the end of the week, and after that it's just going to be me and him during the days, so I'll have to put him down sometimes. I'm glad we have a swing and a bouncer seat for him to chill in if I have something to do that I can't hold him while doing... I also believe it's time to master the Moby wrap that Jessa made for us, as babywearing time is nigh!

No comments: