Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Varsity Theater


When I was in high school (and even middle school, really) my favorite movie theater was the Varsity on Franklin Street. It's right in the middle of the main drag off of UNC Chapel Hill (home of the Tar Heels, that's right!) It's a small independent theater with only two screens and a vintage feel. I almost always went there rather than the big theaters. It was cheaper, they had real butter for the popcorn, and it was fun to cruise around Franklin St. before or after a show - maybe to hit up one of the ice cream joints.
I saw Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (yes, the Kevin Costner film) there when I was all of 12 or 13 and LOVED it! I can't remember how many times we saw Pulp Fiction there when I was a teenager; I know we snuck in at least twice and paid for tickets numerous times. There's a convenient door in the back of the theater that was just too easy to prop open... However, going in with a ticket meant getting to walk down the cool hallway with the fairy lights around it like a sci-fi spaceship tunnel.
Over the years the place fell into some disrepair; the seats were pretty worn out, and the house isn't large enough for stadium seating. Of course fewer people ended up going there for movies, and sadly, it closed down.
In the past year the owners of the Chelsea theater bought, refurbished, and reopened the Varsity. They now play old school movies for cheap ticket fees ($3) and have good concessions, including bottled beer!
Last week we went to see The Goonies, my favorite movie from childhood. This week we went to see Dazed and Confused, my favorite movie from my high school days. We over-watched that film just as much; it was constantly on in the background and we listened to the classic-rock soundtrack until it barely played anymore (ahh, the days of cassette tapes).
It was great fun to once again see an old-skool favorite on the big screen. I laughed a lot and it put me in a great mood. It's also been really nice to get out of the house with Russell for a little date night! Kevin came with us the past two weeks, too. He'd never seen Dazed and Confused before, but he enjoyed it thoroughly!
Another aspect of this night that I found kind of exciting (even though Russell finds it kind of annoying) is that school started yesterday and all the students are back. There are people all over Franklin St. and that 'back to school' excitement is in the air! One of my favorite things about school is that giddy feeling at the start of the year, before you get all bogged down in work, and there are new, fun people everywhere. We saw Freshmen catching the bus with huge bags from Target - outfitting dorm rooms, no doubt. The freshmen are really my favorites because they are so balls-out excited about being at college, away from home for the first time. I just love their wide-openness! It was fun to see that as we went into a movie about the last day of school before summer vacation in 1976... Fun, youthful energy all around. It also made me excited about the possibility of being in school again soon. I do enjoy the environment.
This of course means that Jo Ann got some more quality time with our little Star Man! He did really well with us being gone for a little while again. He laughed and played like the good little goober he is, took a bottle with no trouble, and napped until we came home. He's a great baby, and we really appreciate Jo Ann's loving care for him while we're out!
And so, another good night!

1 comment:

Becky said...

So glad y'all had another fun night out. The Varsity is fabulous! I'm with Russell on being annoyed when the kids return - sort of. Once they get settled and all the lost parents are gone it is much easier to get around town.