Friday, August 13, 2010

3 Month Check In!


Here we are, almost three months into being our own little family unit! Orion will be 12 weeks old tomorrow; I can scarcely believe it. A lot has happened in that time.
Orion has nearly doubled in weight: he started at 7lbs. 8.5ozs and is now somewhere around 12lbs.
We had a rough start with nursing, but now he's a champion on the boob.
Instead of sleeping all the time, then all day and not at night, Orion now mostly sleeps at night.
He smiles all the time and we have a couple of silly games we like to play. The funniest one right now is the 'comfy blanket game' in which I smoosh a fleece blanket on his cheeks. He makes hilarious faces!
Orion is starting to laugh - he does this funny inhalation shriek and will sometimes pant quickly when he's excited.
He has loved music since before his birth!
In the past few days he has suddenly recognized his hands and has spent some amusing time starting at them and moving them around. This has been coupled with a sudden increase in the amount that he grasps things. He especially likes to hold my fingers or shirt while he's nursing.
He slept for a record of 6 hours in his bassinet last night! This is a big deal for me, because even if he sleeps for a long while in the bed with us, I don't sleep as deeply. When he does sleep with us, he likes to sleep in the middle with a hand on each of us.
Over the past three days Orion has been in a growth spurt; he ate almost constantly for the previous two days and spent a lot of today sleeping. He also has not pooped in about 3 days; I'm sure I'm in for a fun diapering experience sometime really soon! In a day or two I'll wake up in the morning, take a look at him, and realize he's grown suddenly in the night!
Today is the third time I've gone through his clothes and culled out the items he's grown out of while cycling things in that he's grown into.
I do a lot of laundry, and most of it is not mine.
Bibs are a necessity - he goes through a few of those before an outfit change is needed.
I shower a lot less often than I used to, and at weird times.
I'm really proud of myself if I manage to accomplish a lot of chores or sewing during the day.
My "gross-out" meter has gone way down. Bodily functions are now a common part of everyday conversation, with cutsie nicknames for everything: burpies, pukies, poopies, pee-pee, and pooties (farts).
There are cotton cloth diapers on everything as 'puppy pads' for Orion to lay on, which are instrumental in keeping furniture items pukie-free.
We both love it when Russell comes home. I'm so thankful that he likes to cook! He also does most of the diapering and burping in the evenings, leading us to say I'm in charge of input and he's in charge of output! Russell is really a good daddy and enjoys carrying Orion around and playing with him. It's always a fun day when daddy's home!
Nursing can often be boring, so I found endless mindless entertainment in Netflix watch instantly and DVD's, Facebook, Stumbleupon, and countless numbers of novels.
A trip to the library by myself it amazing. Going to the movies while Orion stayed home with Jo Ann felt like an adventure!
We're very proud of using cloth diapers and cloth wipes. That coupled with breastfeeding means our weekly baby costs are nearly 0 until we need to buy him new clothes and baby food.
Kiwi is totally unabashed by the baby. Caspian is still a little bummed out and acts needy and mopey sometimes. However, they really have nothing to complain about. I am currently in a turf war with both of them over the bassinet; I have to cover it with a sheet when Orion's not in it or one of them will sleep in it. It's better than a cat butt in my face in the wee hours of the morning, but it leads to too much laundry!
Orion himself is a great baby. He's cute, sweet, fun, and easy to adore. He's a popular little guy with the crowd at Weaver St. and has been a great audience member at all the shows we've gone to. He's a keeper!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I am so happy for you and Russell! Sounds just wonderful.

Good for y'all taking a night off for yourselves too. It's so very important to do.