Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Independence Day

July 4th dawned bright and early for me, mostly because the baby was up early, and I was hot in the tent. Russell had stayed out late, and he was still sleeping, but I could hear various of our friends packing up their stuff. The baby went back to sleep after nursing a bit, but it was all over for me so I got up to chat with our campmates before they headed out. Everyone but us was packed and out of there early, with the last folks leaving around 10am.
We played it smart, though, since we had already booked a hotel in Michigan City, Indiana, for that night, which is only a 2.5 hour drive. We had a lot to pack, but not far to go, so we took our time getting our stuff together. We ate a good breakfast, got everything organized, and took it nice and easy. We left the festival around 1:30 and headed to Michigan City.
It took us longer than it needed to because of traffic/road construction, but we got to Michigan City around 5 and settled in. Our whole plan was to laze around, swim in the hotel pool, do laundry, and store up some energy for the upcoming drive. Missions accomplished, all of them! We even restocked our road food at a grocery store and had a nice dinner at a Mediterranean place called Sahara. It was a good stop and we're feeling up to 100%! Plus I know Orion appreciates a break from being in the car so much...
All in all, I'd say it was a very positive and fun festival experience. Most importantly, Russell and I always do so well during all these events. It takes a lot of prep, organization, and will to do it big and do it right, like we do - and we never get frustrated with each other! I'm always so proud of us the whole time, because we never ruin our fun factor by getting snarky and fighting. It's always just easy going with us, and I think we really maximize our experience since we don't waste our energy on stupid stuff. We enjoy each other, we love the music, we are committed to teamwork, and we always look out for each other. It's really a wonderful experience to have such a great partner that I can depend on no matter what. Festivals bring that out, and I recognize what a great pair we make. I'm lucky to have found him! Cheers to a great honeymoon. More adventure awaits ahead!

No comments: